Insights, learning and resources from current and former participants in the Royal College of Physicians' (RCP's) Chief Registrar Programme.
What we do
The Chief Registrar Programme is one of the RCP's flagship work-based leadership programme for senior trainees. The programme supports senior doctors in training to develop their skills and confidence in leadership, management and quality improvement (QI). Chief registrars provide a valuable bridge between the junior doctor workforce, senior clinical leadership and trust management. They work across teams, leading and supporting local initiatives that make a tangible difference to engagement and morale, service improvement, and patient safety and experience.
If you would like to see what previous chief registrars say about their year in the chief registrar role, please refer to the 2021/22 yearbook which presents a snapshot of some of the work the 2021/22 cohort of chief registrars have delivered within their organisations. It is impossible to showcase the full range of projects due to number and scope, but it is clear from the yearbook that chief registrars have made significant improvements to services, patient experience and staff morale.
We have provided a selection of resources – including blog posts (linked below) and conference posters which are available to download – highlighting the achievements of former chief registrars.
- Dr Susan Hayward - Why we need a chief registrar
- Dr Katy Islip - Improving patients' experience in real-time
- Dr Ronnie Singh - The importance of engaging junior doctors
- Dr Sabreen Akhtar - Giving junior doctors a voice: lessons learnt by a chief registrar
- Dr Tahir Akbar - What it means to be a chief medical registrar: the power of small changes
- Dr Amar Puttanna - Quality improvement in action: my experience as a chief registrar
- Drs Emily Bowen, Judy Martin and Marissa Minns - Learning about clinical leadership: Our experience as chief registrars
If you're interested in becoming a chief registrar, email email@example.com for more information.