Three vacancies exist for external advisers to join the Archive, Heritage Library and Museum Services (AMS) Advisory Committee – 3-year tenure.
Founded in 1518 by a royal charter from King Henry VIII, the Royal College of Physicians is the oldest medical college in England, often playing a pivotal role in raising standards and shaping public health.
We have an outstanding collection of over 100,000 items relating to our history and medicine more widely, including books, manuscripts, portraits, medical instruments and other objects. The collections are housed in our iconic Regent’s Park building, which was designed to display objects throughout. As well as providing a material link with the RCP’s past, the collections are used as part of outreach efforts to encourage engagement with the RCP and medicine more generally, through events, exhibitions and tours.
We are seeking external advisers who have a strong background in or currently work in museums, libraries and archives. An active interest and, preferably, expertise in the history of medicine and/or any aspects of the maintenance, conservation and preservation of the collections is important. We particularly welcome applications from those with expertise in:
- rare books
- visual culture
- marketing and/or fundraising.
About the AMS Advisory Committee
The AMS Advisory Committee provides advice to the RCP on matters relating to:
- the historical and special collections of the RCP Archive, Heritage Library and Museum
- the delivery of services by AMS to members of the RCP, staff and external users
- the acquisition, preservation, documentation, conservation, display and security of the RCP collections cared for by AMS
- the exhibition of items, including materials on loan from and to external sources
- the further development of the AMS
- the RCP Medicinal Garden and the garden fellows
- marketing and fundraising to help support the collections.
- Harveian librarian (committee chair)
- Director of Development and Collections
- Executive director of Communications, Policy and Research
- Senior members of AMS staff
- Five fellows (four appointed and the garden fellow)
- External advisers, with a range of expertise in museums, libraries and archives.
The committee usually meets 2–3 times per year. Attendance can be in person or via telephone or video conference call. Members are occasionally asked for advice by email between meetings.
How to apply
To apply please contact the registrar, Professor Cathryn Edwards, via the AMS email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a short CV and a 1-page cover letter outlining your suitability for the role by midnight on Friday 1 December 2023. For further information, please contact the Harveian librarian Dr Louella Vaughan (Louella.Vaughan@rcp.ac.uk).
Applications will be considered by the RCP Nominations Committee. Please see below for the AMS Advisory Committee terms of reference and the RCP’s principles and process for nominations.
The RCP is all about our people – our members, staff, volunteers and leaders. We educate, influence and collaborate to improve health and healthcare for everyone and know we can only do this by being inclusive, encouraging and celebrating diverse perspectives. Welcoming into our community people who represent the 21st-century medical workforce and the diverse population of patients we serve is a priority for us.